RIVERBOATS
Starting With
The Initial
"W."
Page .01,
New Information Added
02/08/2007


To Riverboats Starting With The Initial "WM. and WILLIAM"
To Riverboats Starting With The Letter W, "Page 1
To Riverboats Starting With The Letter W, "Page 2

1. Name: W.A. Andrew
        Type: Sidewheel, wooden hull packet
	Size: 132' X 30' X  5.5', 229 tons
	Launched: 1857, Madison, Ind.
	Owners: 1857, Capt. Robert Moody, New Orleans.
	        1860, Purchased by Robert Means, New Orleans
		      The next day transfered ownership to Capt Joseph T. Landry, Donaldsonville, La.
		1862, Mar. 29, went to Confederate registry under Capt. J.A. Tarrier, New Orleans 
        Area: 1857, Out of New Orleans, LA.
	      1858, New Orleans-Grand Encore
	Captains: 1857, Robert Moody
	          1858, C.J. Barstow
		  1862, J.A. Terrier

1. Name: W.A. HEALY/Tinjclad #22/SPRINGFIELD
	Type: Sidewheel wooden hull packet
	Size: When sold at auction described thusly: 134.8' X 26.8' X 4.3', 146 tons
	Power: At time of auction, engines, 10's- 3-1/2 ft.  Two Boilers.
	Launched: 1862, Cincinnati, Oh.
	Owners: 1862, Nov. 20, bought by U.S., renamed, SPRINGFIELD to become tinclad #22.
            1865 or 66*, Apr 1, Mound City, Ill., sold at public auction for $4,550.
	Comments: 1865 or 66*, New owners remaned, JENNIE D.
			: *Way's says one thing in one listing and another in the other listing????

Name: W. B. SEAWELL
	Captains: 1881, Feb. 17 Burns Meaher, Capt., Capt Jack Stone, Pilot
	Source: The Old Times. com, ad below -
The Ganesville Reporter
Feb. 17, 1881

Name: W. B. TERRY 
    Launched: 1850s? 
    Comments: 1862, seen at New Madrid, Mo.  Union Troop-carrier. 


Name: W. H. CHANCELLOR (I suspect this is actually the W.N. CHANCELLOR, below
    Launched: 18?? 
    Area: 1879: Ohio R. 
              :  Was docking at the "Peoples Warf Boat" in Wheeling, W. Va. 
    Comments: Notes from WHEELING, WEST VIRGINIA, 
              WHEELING NEWS-REGISTER,  June 24, 1951 

Name: W. H. HARRISON 
    Launched: 1860s? 
    Area: Ohio R. 
    Captain(s): Aumiller, Ephraim 
    Comments: From The Tribune Telegraph, 
              Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio, Wed. Feb. 24 1897 
 
1 Name: W.H. OSBORN
    Type: Sidewheel, wooden hull packet.  Size:1,156 tons.
    Launched: 1865, Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Destroyed: 1866, Dec. 24, New Orleans, burned to hull.
               1867, hull was changed into a barge.
    Area: Built for St. Louis-New Orleans trade
    Owners: 1865-67, Capt. William J. Kountz and others.
    Captain: Master, Thomas Rogers
    Comments: W.H. Osborn was Pres. of Illinois Central R.R.
The only teddy bear still made in America
Name: W. J. BEHAN
    Type: Sternwheel, wooden hull packet
    Size: 165' X 33' X 4.'
    Power: Engines, 15's- 5-1/2'. Two boilers
    Launched: 1870s? 
    Destroyed: 1884, Mar. 28, Bismarck, N.D., lost in ice
    Area: At first, New Orleans-Shreveport
          Later U. Mo. R. 
    Owner: 1876, New Orleans & Red River Transportation Company
           1878, sold to Fort Benton Transportation Company. 
    Captain: 1876, George Wilkinson
              At one time,Capt. Marsh, Grant
    Comments: Brought Sitting Bull down to ? 

Name: W.J. BETHEA  See 1906 Post Card from Jackson Ala.

Name: W(ILL?) J. CUMMIN(G?)S 
       The writers in the Tribune couldn't seem to make up their minds 
       as to whether Cummings was spelled with a "G" or not.  Also one 
       Called her the W. (R.) Cummins.  And is she "Will" or just plain W. 
                         Frankly, I'm confused. 
       However, there do seem to have been two boats, one Gamble bought 
       in Mar. of 1897 for $12,000, the other he launched in  June of 
       the same year. 
                            Go Figure. 
       Maybe more accurate info will surface, but here's what I have . . . 

    Launched: 1897, June 5, began maiden trip 
    Area: Ohio R. 
    Owner: Gamble, Mack 
    Captain(s): Gambel, Mack 
    Pilot(s): ? to Aug. 1897, Rawley, James Jr. 
    Comments: From The Tribune Telegraph, 
               Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio, Wed. June. 12 1897 

Name: W. J. PEASE 
    Launched: 1840s? 
    Area: Eastern and Sacramento 

Name: W. J. QUINLAN, originally the DAVENPORT 
    One Source 

Name: W. M. MORRISON 
    Area: 1861: Mi. R. 
    Comments: From The Diary Of Joseph T. Anderson, shopkeeper. 
             Commerce Mo. 
             - Monday night, March 25th 1861. "Business dull most of 
             the day.  I felt bad all day from the loss of sleep. 
             The W.M. Morrison landed here at 12 o'clock last night, 
             put off Mr. Whitell. . . . " 

1 Name: W.N. CHANCELLOR
	Type: Sternwheel wooden hull packet
	Size: 175' X 30' X 3.8'
	Launched: 1879, Parkersburg, W. Va.
	Destroyed: cir. 1892 was worn out, dismantled.
	Area: When new, Pittsburgh-Parkersburg
		: 1880, Kanawha R.-Cincinnati
		: 1882, was first regular boat in Pittsburg-Charleston trade
		: * 1884, Starting Oct., left Charleston every Mon. and Thurs.,
			        to Parkersburg and Marietta.
	Captains: When new, E.P. Chancellor
			  with Ira B. Huntington and John Bookhart, clerks
			: 1880, same crew
	Comments: This boat was the first on the scene when the
			  SCIOTO AND JOHN LOMAS collided.
			: Boat was named for Capt. E.P. Chancellor's brother
			: Carried a black orchestra.
			: Much of her equipment went to towboat GEORGE W. MOREDOCK
			: Mentioned in this Document

Name: W. P. SNYDER jr.   Pictures  
	Type: Sternwheel towboat     Size: 175' 
    Launched: 1918 
    Area: Pittsburg and now Marietta OH 
    Owner: through 1955: Crucible Steel Co; Present Ohio Historical Society 
           Ohio River Museum, Marietta Oh. 
    Comments:  The W. P. Snyder jr. is a 1918-built steel hull towboat 
               and is the only surviving coal-fired, steam-powered 
               sternwheeler towboat in the U.S. 
               Since September 16th, 1955 owned by the Ohio Historical 
               Society, the W. P. Snyder jr. is part of the Ohio River 
               Museum at Marietta, Ohio, at the Muskingum River. Until 
               1955 the W. P. Snyder jr. was owned by the Crucible Steel Co. 

Name: W.P. THOMPSON
	Type: Sternwheel wooden hull packet
	Launched: 1876, Harmar, Oh. at Knox Yard
	Destroyed: 1884, Dec. 7, below Vicksburg, was in collision, lost.
	Area: 1877, Pittsburgh-Cincinnati in place of EMMA GRAHAM.
          Later ran Cincinnati-Charleston
          1878, Fall, and Fall of 1879, Pittsburgh-Cincinnati
          Once Ran Cincinnati-Vanceburg, Ky.
          *1881, Vanceburg-Cincinnati
          1883, fall, went south for cotton trade out of Yazoo R.
                Winter was south with John Robinson Circus
	Owners:When new, J.N. Camden & Company, oil producers, Parkersburg, W. Va.
             1879, Parkersburg & Ohio River Transportation Company
             *1884, David Gibson of Cincinnati, Oh.
	Captains: 1877, E.B. Cooper with Nat Earhart as clerk.
              On Cincinnati-Charleston trade, John Thornburg
              1879, in Pittsburgh-Cincinnati trade, Hod Knowles
              1881, *Dec. H.L. Redden
	Comments: Named for one of the directors of J.N. Camden & Co.

1 Name: W. R. ARTHUR 
     Type: Sternwheeler/wood hull 
     Size: Length: 260'; Width:42;  Draft: 8.5;  Weight:763 tons 
     Launched:  1864: Hull laid at Chousetown, Pa., Boat built, Louisville, Ky. 
                      By E & N Porter under supervision of Capt. C.W. Batchelor 
                      for Capt. Dan Able and others. 
     Destroyed: 1871, Island 40, Boiler blew.  Burning boat floated to 
                       Redman Point then sank, bow down. 
     Area: 1864, St. Louis to New Orleans 
     Owner:  1864: Capt Dan Able (and other St. Louis investors?) 
             1869, Feb? - 1869: Atlantic and Mississippi Steam Ship Co. 
                                Company failed in May of 1869 
     Captain(s):1864 - 1868, Jan? Campbell, Hugh 
                1871 when sank: Harry W. Brolaski was master 
                     and pilot was George Richie 
                : *At one time, Hugh Campbell
     Comments:1868, Jan. and Feb.Carondelet, Mo.: enlarged to 296' X 53' X 8 
              1869, Near Grand Tower, Ill.:  Hit log and sank.  Was raised. 
              1871: The Memphis U.S. Inspectors revoked the license of 
                    George Reed, chief engineer.  5 of her 6 boilers had blown 
                    when she went. 
                  : More information and a photo: from Way's Packet Directory, compiled 
                    by the late John Hartford, river musician. 

Great American Products

1 Name: W. R. CARTER
    Type: Sidewheel, wooden hull packet.  Size: 563 tons
    Power: tubular boiles simular to those on the W.R. Arthur (above), the
           MISSOURI and the SULTANA.
    Launched: 1864, Louisville, Ky.
    Destroyed: 1866, Feb. 9, Island 98, about 35 mi. above Vicksburg, boilers exploded.
                     125 persons lost.  EVENING STAR took many survivors to
                     Vicksburg.
    Owner: built for Capt. Linas Logan
        : Possibly associated with the Atlantic and Mississippi Steam Ship Company
    Captains: Master, Jacob S. Hurd 
    Comments: This was the last of this type of boiler.  Boats with them were
              stopped until their boilers were replaced with "Weatern" type
              boilers.
            : Named for a merchant of St. Louis from Louisville.
 
Name: W. R. CUMMINGS 
    Launched: 1880's? 
    Area: Ohio R. 
    Owner(s): 1897, Gamble, Capt. Mack 
    Captain(s): Gamble, Mack 
    Comments:From The Tribune Telegraph, 
           Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio, Wed. Mar. 31 1897 

Name: W.R. MARKLE
    Type: paddlewheel towboat
    Launched, 1909? to tow W.R. MARKLE'S NEW SHOWBOAT

1 Name: W. T. SCOVELL 
    Type: Sternwheeler, wooden hull packet
    Size: 160' X 31' X 4'
    Power: 12's- 3 1/2', 1 boiler, 44" X 28'
    Launched: 1895, by Howard Yard, Jeffersonville, Ind.
    Destroyed: 1906, Dec. 20, Gold Dust Landing, La., blew boiler,
               killed 10, including Capt., pilot and clerk. 
    Area: Miss., Cumberland and Red Rs.
    Owners: 1895 to 190?5?Red River Packet Company
           1905, Cumberland River Packet Company
    Captains: 1903: Sept., Brinker, H.J.;
                Pilots, Readman, Samuel Compton, Barren, George
              : 1905-06, Dec. 20, Quackenbush, John; Pilot, Quackenbush, Wade

Name: W.W.  Originally the CITY OF WINONA  See Post Card

1 Name: W.W.FARMER
    Type: Sidewheel, wooden hulled packet.  Size: 140' X 32' X  5.1', 270 tons
    Launched: 1854, Louisville, Ky.
    Area: 1854, ran New Orleans - Ouachita River
    Owners: 1854, Capt. John W. Cannon in name of Louise Cannon - 5 /8 ownership.
       			other owners at the time were Capt William Cooper and N.A. Delerno,
				both of New Orleans.
			1855, Nov., Capt. Cooper purchased control of boat.
						Capt. Cannon dropped out.
			1857, 1858, Capt John Glenn owned entire.
			1858, Capt. Cooper owned entire.
			1860, March, John Freeze, Wheeling, W.V. owned 7/10ths.
			1861, went to Confederate Registry
    Captains: 1857, Capt John Glenn
   			  1860, B.F. Goodwin
A full line of quality suppliments
To Riverboats Starting With The Initial "WM. and WILLIAM" To Riverboats Starting With The Letter W, "Page 1 To Riverboats Starting With The Letter W, "Page 2

Source: Way's Packet Directory, 1848 - 1994

HERBS FOR HEALTH
Herbs, Vitimins and Minerals

Open The Alphabetical Index For Boats, Captains & Owners

Search this site
Site map
What's new on site