The Tribune Telegraph, Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio
Wednesday, June 9, 1897
The wharfmaster reported $24 collected as wharfage for May. A resolution was passed to compel all long line boats to pay wharfage. The Hatcher, Little Queen and other local packets were excepted. The street commissioner mentioned several places where the culverts across the streets ought to be made larger. One is near Adam Long's on Sugar Run street and one on Lincoln Hill. At that point Capt. Malone began kicking about the Enterprise Landing and he did credit to a Texas broncho. He finally got the street committee to go to look at the place and to order it repaired. He said they had to have flying machines to get people on and off boats there.
THE NEW QUEEN CITYThe new Queen City, companion for the Virginia, was launched at Cincinnati Saturday. It is conceded to be the finest of her class ever built and floated in the Western rivers. In the old days of steamboating no finer stern-wheel vessel was ever built and entered into service than the Queen City. The boat is 236 feet long, 44 foot beam, 51 feet wide over all, with a seven-foot depth of hold. Her estimated capacity is 1,460 tons. Her machinery consists of four boilers and an auxiliary boiler, and her engines have an indicated horse power of 2,000. This is the highest power on any boat of the class in the Western waters. There are on the boat in all 14 steam engines for all purposes, such as making electric light, pumping and the like. The boat will be lighted throughout with electricity, there being 400 incandescent lights on her and 100 in the main saloon. The cabins will all be furnished with electric lights, and the cabins will be finished in as fine style as possible. The woodwork on the interior of the main saloon is all of mahogany finish, trimmed with brass mountings, and presents a fine appearance. The ceilings are of the decorative steel sort which has lately come into such favor for uses of this kind. The bottom panels of the cabin floors are trimmed with gold-plated mountings of attractive appearance. FINE CABIN INTERIOR The cabins themselves are fitted up in taste, each one being furnished with a nickel-plated water tank, beveled edge plate glass mirror and similar luxurious fittings. There are cabin accommodations on the boat for 160, and the capacity for passenger purposes is 250. For excursion purposes she is allowed 1,600 persons. The main saloon is decorated in a tasteful and ornamental style. The panels of the forward gangway doors are decorated each one with a scene typical of one of the four seasons, spring, summer, autumn and winter. The paintings are of high order and were executed by David Swing. At the forward end of the main saloon is the most noticeable of all the attempts of the work of the decorator in the instance of the setting off of the name of the boat. The name, "Queen City," appears arising from the waters of the beautiful river, the letters wreathed and twined with profusion of roses, fully calling to mind Longfellow's famous and oft quoted passage descriptive of the city: The Queen of the West, In her garlands dressed, On the banks of the Beautiful River. At either end of the fanciful name of the city and the name of the boat spelled by the letters rising from the water and covered with garlands of roses, are seen the banks. on the left is a representation of the Suspension bridge and the city beyond, showing the Chamber of Commerce towering above the other buildings and the tall spire of the First Presbyterian church standing out against the rugged sides of Mt. Adams. Beneath the bridge can be seen the Virginia, the companion boat to the Queen City. On the opposite side of the illuminated name is shown the Central bridge in a view looking up the river and the new upper bridge, rebuilt by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The Kentucky shore is visible and boats with their tows come and go on the surface of the river. ARTISTIC PICTURES The two views are, in themselves attractive pictures and the illumination of the boat's name surrounded by such artistic work is the idea of Captain J. F. Ellison and well worked out by the artist, David Swing. The prevailing color in the exterior decoration of the boat is red. On the other boat, the Virginia, the color is blue. A noticeable feature about the boat is a marble tablet forward, upon which is engraved the names of the builders and outfitters. The tablet is a departure from the accepted features of boat-building and one that is full of interest. As the boat was entirely built in Cincinnati and mostly furnished and equipped by Cincinnati firms, it is appropriate that the names of her makers and furnishers should be placed together on a tablet thus. The tablet included names as follows: Cincinnati Marine Railway Company, hull, cabins, &c; McIlvain & Spiegel, boilers; L. Schreiber Sons Co., James Reese & Sons, John H. DeCamp, E. E. Locke, James Horne & Co. , Edw. C. Wendt, Ohio Scroll and Lumber Company, John Van Range Co., Triumph Electric Company, Homan & Co., Kogh & Braunstein, Consolidated Boat Store Company, Crawler & Johnston, Eureka Block and Tackle Company, Cincinnati Manufacturing Company, Wm. Glenny Co. The formal presentation to the new boat by the Chamber of Commerce of a piano and stand of colors on Thursday will be an event of no little interest. A fund has been raised by the members and the piano and colors purchased. The members of the Chamber will march to the boat after Change hours, headed by the Chamber of Commerce Band. The Mayor and President of the Chamber will make the presentation, and the afternoon or part of it will be spent in a trip up and down the river at the invitation of the owners of the boat. Column 6 MARINE Assistant United States Engineer R. R. Jones is making preparations to resume the survey of the Ohio River from Pittsburg to Marietta. This survey was begun last year, and completed as far as East Liverpool. As soon as the stage of the river will permit, the survey will be resumed. The survey is being made with the view of obtaining all information possible for use in improving the river by locks and dams. It will hardly be completed this season. Marietta is supposed to be the southern terminus of the locks and dams of the river. The Smoky City laid up at Middleport last Wednesday and paid off her crew. John Parks, aged 19 years, second engineer of the Ida Smith, died at the Marine Hospital at Gallipolis, Friday evening. He was taken to Ravenswood for burial. NEW WHEELING PACKET The brand, spanking new steamer W. J. CUMMINGS, belonging to Capt. Mack Gamble, just completed at Marietta, and having a 500-ton capacity, made her maiden trip Saturday. She left Wheeling for Cincinnati, and will run regularly between Cincinnati and Wheeling as an independent weekly packet. DEMOCRAT CORRESPONDENTS CONVENTION The regular annual convention of the correspondents of the Democrat took place last Saturday, June 5th. The correspondents from all over the county gathered at the Court House in the morning, and after the Boxwell diploma presentations they went to the wharf and boarded the steamer Mary L. Hatcher for the purpose of an excursion up the river. The Pomeroy band was aboard and kept up the spirits of the writers by plenty of stirring, solemn and ear-destroying music, decorations were galore, and all in all no more suitable setting could be established for a day of pleasure. At Syracuse the boat landed and the crowd moved to the college campus, where dinner was served. Among the two hundred people present there appeared to be nearly as many well filled baskets and in a remarkably short time a feast was before the people capable of causing any journalist's eyes to sparkle and fit to satisfy his appetite. After dinner came the business and literary events; the election of officers for the ensuing year constituting the business. All the officers of last year were re-elected. The program, while perhaps just a little short, was very beneficial and interesting. Essays entitled "Mother, Home and Heaven" and "Literature" were among the other good things. And Prof. Coates was there, too! It is well understood what he added to the fun of the occasion by his humorous selections. Again the crowd boarded the boat and she steamed on up the river as far as Racine, and returned to the wharf here somewhat after three o'clock. Correspondents, friends, band boys - in fact everybody was loud in his gratitude for his courteous treatment at the hands of Mr. Peoples. This being an annual affair, anticipation is great for the repetition of the enjoyment next year, although likely in another manner. To return to the page from which you came, use your "BACK" button. To Wheeling Tribune Telegraph: Jan. 6, 1897  |  Feb. 24, 1897  |  March 24, 1897  |   April, 28, 1897 May 12, 1897  |   June 9, 1897  |  July 28, 1897  |  August 28, 1897
HERBS FOR HEALTH
Herbs, Vitimins and Minerals
Open The Alphabetical Index For Boats, Captains & Owners