The Goldenrod was built in 1909 by Pope Dock Company for W. R. Markle.
She was originally named Markle´s New Showboat but soon renamed Goldenrod.
The Goldenrod claimed to be the last showboat built for the Mississippi
River and the last showboat which survived. She is considered the largest
and finest showboat ever built being 200 feet long and 45 feet wide.
She´s seating more than 1,400 people. In 1913 Markle lost the boat by
forclosure. She went on auction and was sold for $ 11,000,--. In 1922
the Goldenrod was purchased by Capt. Bill Menke who run her as 12 months
season. She spent two summers at Aspinwall, PA, in 1930 and 1931. In
the summer of 1937 the Goldenrod went to St. Louis for repairs. She
was moored at the Locust Street Landing until 1962. Until then the Goldenrod
visited about 15 states each year. In 1988 the boat was purchased by
the city of St. Charles from Frank Pierson´s heirs who owned her since
1964 and restored her. She was moved to the Missouri River in 1990.
The Goldenrod was restored and renovated. She reopened in 1991 as dinner
theater with live shows. In 2001 the Goldenrod closed due to financial
problems. In June 2003 the showboat was given to the Lewis and Clark
Landing LC at St. Louis, where the boat now is moored at a storage dock
off Gratiot Street, south of the Poplar Street Bridge, waiting for a
good idea what to do with her.